software, business, and other business
RailsConf talk: Rails Takes on the Enterprise with SOA - Joe O'Brien
- Have you read any books on Service Oriented Architectures (SOA). Yeah? Well forget everything
- Some applications really need to be big.
- Just because rails allows you to do things ten times faster doesn’t mean you need to do ten times more. Do the important things better.
- SOA is not a new idea, but our era of developers may have lost the art of making applications that communicate with each other.
- SOA is about boundaries – discovering the logical separations between various parts of the business.
- Must have well-defined interfaces.
- XML is not the root of all evil.
- Do not expose your privates (in reference to xml dtd’s of course)
- Asyncronous messaging is certainly an option when trying to improve the user experience.